Bill Glenn is senior counsel in the Galveston office who has been a member of the Texas and patent bars for over twenty years. Mr. Glenn represents and advises domestic and international clients on patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, software as a service (SaaS), cybersecurity, and maritime issues—both in and out of court. He has worked with companies with business lines in: aviation telecommunication software, upstream oil and gas, onshore and offshore drilling, cathodic protection, vessel operations, vessel classification, ship/vessel repair and breaking, naval architecture, marine engineering, marine terminals, ocean and rail logistics, vessel financing, brewing, and tourism.
Mr. Glenn joined the firm in 1992, but his experience did not begin there. Before practicing law, Mr. Glenn sailed as master/offshore installation manager on mobile offshore drilling units in the North Sea, Indonesian waters, and the Gulf of Mexico. Mr. Glenn is also a lecturer at Texas A&M University at Galveston in the Departments of Maritime Administration. In addition, he blogs about intellectual property and maritime matters at http://compassboxing.blogspot.com
Deepwater Corrosion Services Inc. v. Enviroklean Product Development, Inc.; Cause No. H-14-539, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas Houston Division. Lead attorney in suit brought by Deepwater Corrosion Services against Enviroklean Product Development for trademark infringement, false designation of origin, false advertising, unfair competition and dilution. Case settled.
Dune Energy Inc. v. Shamrock Management, LLC; Cause No. CV59024-A, Galveston County Court at Law No. 1, Galveston County Texas. Co-Chair in suit brought by Dune Energy against Shamrock Management for breach of master service agreement. Jury verdict of over $2.4 million for Dune Energy.
Moody National Bank v. Bywater Marine LLC et al; Cause No. G-10-598, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas Galveston Division and Moody National Bank v. Bywater Marine LLC et al; Cause No. 12-40946, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Represented Moody National Bank in foreclosure of preferred ship mortgage and appeal thereafter. Judgment in the amount of over $1.2 million for Moody National Bank and affirmed by Fifth Circuit.
Hennecke GmbH v. RADCOM Domain Department; FA1209001463233, Federal Arbitration Association. Represented Hennecke GmbH in domain name dispute. Arbitrators award for Hennecke GmbH.
ALK Associates, Inc. v. Transportacion Ferroviaria Mexicana, S.A. de C.V. and Texas Mexican Railway Company; Cause No. L-00-64, United States District Court for the Western District of Texas Laredo Division. Part of litigation team defending Transportacion Ferroviara Mexicana, S.A. against claims of breach of contract, conversion, unfair competition through misappropriation, misappropriation of trade secrets, civil conspiracy, and copyright infringement. Settlement reached between the parties.
Waco International Corporation v. KHK Scaffolding Houston, Inc.; Cause No. H-98-1309, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas Houston Division. Part of litigation team for KHK Scaffolding Houston, Inc. in trademark infringement suit brought by Waco International Corporation. Jury verdict for KHK Scaffolding Houston, Inc. and first reported decision of a punitive damages award for wrongful seizure under the Lanham Act.
- Press ReleaseNovember 19, 2008
- Pat Cooney, John Elsley, Bill Glenn and Jim Watkins are Who's Who!Who's Who Legal Texas 2008, November 12, 2008
Publications & Speeches
- Texas Lawyer, August 7, 2006
- Copyright Basics for Graphic DesignersFebruary 1, 2005
- Comparative Study Between Traditional Ocean Shipping and the Ocean Transport of LNG & Offshore LNG Terminals in U.S. WatersSNAME's 14th Annual Offshore Symposium, November 1, 2004
- The Law of the Internet in TexasNational Business Institute, 12T6628, January 1, 2002
- Ex-Parte Seizure of Intellectual Property Goods9 Tex. Intell. Prop.L.J. 307, January 1, 2001
- Internet Research for Intellectual Property Law IssuesLorman Publishing, September 1, 2000
- Legal Protection of Vessel Hull Designs and Related Technology, Offshore Technology Conference 2000OTC011955, May 1, 2000
- Maritime Commerce Reducing Environmental LossesNatural Resources & Environment, Vol. 9 No. 4, April 1, 1995
- Marine Resources Committee's 1994 Year in Review for the Section of Natural ResourcesEnergy and Environmental Law, January 1, 1994
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, J.D., 1991; M.I.P., 1998
- Texas A&M University at Galveston, B.S., Marine Sciences, 1981
Texas, 1992 All U.S. District Courts in the State of Texas U.S. Court of Appeal, Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeal, Federal Circuit United States Patent & Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney United States Supreme Court
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Galveston Bar Association
- Maritime Technology Society
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Council of American Master Mariners
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers