John F. Unger
Mr. Unger is a Partner of the firm. He has significant experience in civil litigation and appeals. Mr. Unger has handled a range of litigation in state and federal courts, including appeals in state and federal courts. He is a member of the Bar of the United States Supreme Court, the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, and all Texas state courts.
Mr. Unger's trials and appeals have included representation of numerous vessel owners and operators of vessels in connection with personal injury litigation involving toxic torts, longshore, seamen and offshore worker claims, as well as non-personal injury litigation in the areas of product liability and commercial disputes. Non-litigation matters have included a variety of international and domestic transactions. Mr.Unger is also an adjunct professor of the University of Houston College of Law.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Texas, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- University of Houston, J.D., magna cum laude, 1981
- University of Texas, B.J., with honors, 1978
- Editor, Houston Journal of International Law, 1980-1981
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Maritime Law Association of the United States (Maritime Personnel Committee)(Proctor Member)
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (Past Chairman)
- The Propeller Club
- Houston Marine Insurance Seminar Planning Committee
Seminars & Speeches
- Speaker, Houston Marine Insurance Seminar, "Overview of Selected Duties of Primary and Excess Underwriters"
- Speaker, Houston Marine Insurance Seminar, "Texas Prompt Payment Statute"
- Speaker, World Trade Institute, "Introduction to Maritime Law"
- Speaker, National Business Institute, "Maritime Workers' Compensation in Texas"
- Speaker, Southeastern Admiralty Law Seminar, "Maintenance and Cure"
- Speaker, Southeastern Admiralty Law Seminar, "Vessel Seizures"
- International Conflict of Laws - Common Civil and Maritime "Houston Journal of International Law Vol. 17 No.2 Book Review" January 1, 1995.
- International Conflict of Laws - Common Civil and Maritime
Houston Journal of International Law Vol 17 No.2 Book Review
January 1, 1995