As a former federal law clerk, Paul Serafy understands judges and juries. A trial attorney at heart, Paul utilizes that experience to achieve courtroom wins for businesses and professionals. He works to understand his clients’ specific goals and needs in order to develop clear trial strategies.
A native of Brownsville, Texas, Paul’s family goes back six generations in the city, and he is fluent in Spanish. No stranger to hard work, Paul had his first job at the age of 12 working on the packing line of a business that his father built from the ground up. Growing up watching his father run his company, Paul developed a deep understanding that executives want to focus on their business, not their legal problems.
Paul has experience in a wide variety of civil litigation and health care matters in federal and state courts, both at the trial and appellate levels, and in arbitrations. Paul’s commercial litigation practice focuses on matters involving breach of contract, partnership and shareholder disputes, copyright and trademark infringement, breaches of fiduciary duties, and requests for injunctive relief. Paul also regularly represents health care providers in health care fraud and abuse cases, physician partner and shareholder disputes, and regulatory compliance and licensing matters.
Paul began his career in government and politics as an aide to Senator John Cornyn on Capitol Hill and, later, Governor Rick Perry. He attended Baylor Law School and served as executive editor of the Baylor Law Review. Before entering private practice, Paul clerked for the Honorable Ed Kinkeade of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. As a result, Paul has first-hand insight into what drives judges’ decisions. Before returning to Brownsville, Paul practiced in Dallas, Texas, representing businesses and individuals in a wide range of commercial and health care related disputes.
In his free time, Paul enjoys cooking and traveling with his wife, Lauren, and their four children. Paul is a guitarist, songwriter, and a triathlete.
- Business and Commercial Litigation and Counseling
- Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Intellectual Property: Patent Prosecution, Trademark, Copyright, and Related Litigation
- Labor, Employment, OSHA, and Discrimination Disputes and Counseling
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Personal Injury Defense: General Liability, Product Liability, and Insurance Defense
- Baylor Law School, J.D., 2015
- Executive Editor, Baylor Law Review
- Charles Petty Memorial Law and Medicine Award
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. Political Science, Minor in Latin American Studies, 2008
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Ed Kinkeade, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Divison, 2015-2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Cameron County Bar Association
- Cameron County Young Lawyers Association
- Hidalgo County Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section
- Parishioner, St. Mary Mother of the Church, Brownsville, Texas