Eugene W. Barr works out of our Galveston and Houston offices, concentrating his practice on litigation and transactional matters with a focus on maritime/transportation and construction law.
Mr. Barr’s experience includes commercial disputes, personal injury/wrongful death, property damage and construction defect, maritime liens and vessel arrest/property attachment actions, cargo, shipboard investigations, vessel collisions/allisions, spills of oil/hazardous materials, and criminal defense of vessel owners, managers, and crewmembers.
In addition to handling matters in Texas state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations before the Society of Maritime Arbitrators (SMA), American Arbitration Association (AAA), and other domestic and international arbitral bodies, Mr. Barr assists clients with administrative proceedings before the United States Coast Guard, the National Transportation Safety Board, the National Pollution Fund Center, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Mr. Barr also regularly counsels clients regarding both first-party and third-party insurance coverage matters. On the transactional side, Mr. Barr assists clients with negotiation and drafting of various agreements, including construction, purchase and sale; time, voyage and bareboat charterparties; master services agreements; terms and conditions; and indemnity/risk-shifting and insurance contractual provisions.
Eugene W. Barr has successfully represented corporations and individuals in federal and state court litigation matters involving:
- Successfully represented international construction company in federal trial involving construction project in Venezuela, obtaining favorable verdict and securing full payment via post-judgment collection activities.
- Represented vessel owner and manager in administrative proceedings, lawsuits and consolidated trial arising from Houston Ship Channel collision and oil spill, successfully resolving over 1,500 claims.
- Representation of construction firms, engineers, and other building professionals in commercial disputes and construction defect litigation.
- Representation of vessel interests and terminals/plant facilities in relation to maritime/Jones Act/longshore and general personal injury actions.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissals on behalf of marine terminals, plant facilities, vessel interests, and commercial business interests in various personal injury actions.
- Prosecution and defense of maritime vessel arrest and property attachment actions.
- Representation of vessel interests and crewmembers in investigation and criminal proceedings concerning alleged pollution/illegal discharge (MARPOL) allegations.
Mr. Barr is also frequently called upon to evaluate insurance coverage issues on behalf of insurers and policyholders, including the provision of coverage opinions and engagement in coverage litigation.
As part of his transactional practice, Mr. Barr has assisted clients with negotiation and preparation of agreements in the maritime and construction sectors, including: master services agreements; construction, purchase and sale agreements; time, voyage and bareboat charterparties; master services agreements; general terms and conditions; and indemnity/risk-shifting and insurance provisions.
Publications & Speeches
- September 1, 2021
Honors & Distinctions
Selected for inclusion Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2014-2021
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2004
Texas State and Federal Courts